Friday, May 20, 2011

Make Room for Abundance


"In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit.  Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat:  it was a Hobbit-hole, and that means comfort., " - J.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit 

In 1880, William Morris founded the influential Arts and Crafts movement.  Morris crusaded against the cheap and shoddy furniture and decorative accessories being mass-produced and crammed into middle class homes.  Morris urged Victorians to rid themselves of the ugly, useless and uncomfortable.  Instead he favored simple and "honest" furnishings.  Morris said "Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be "useful" and believe to be "beautiful."

Wow!  Doesn't that apply to our lives today as well?  We go to Target, Wal-Mart, Ross, Kohl's and on and on.  All of them offer homogenized patterns of the same items.  We load up on the newest styles and comforts.  Commercials and Ads tell us what we should have in our homes and how to decorate.  They cry "be just like everyone else."  Does any of this represent who you are or who you want to be???

There is a metaphysical law that says if we desire more abundance - we must "create a vacuum" to allow ourselves space to "receive" good things. How can more good come into our lives if there is no room for it?  Luke 6:38 states "Give and it shall be given unto you..." and 6:39 states "For with the same measure that you give - that same measure will be given back to you."  The way we create that "vacuum" is by giving away what we no longer need or desire and "bless others" with it.

We all change as we grow, including our personal style.  There is no shame in simplifying your life and your home!  Rethink what lies around you.  Do these things represent who you are or who you want to be?  Give away the things you no longer need or use.  Say to yourself "have I used this in the last year?'  If not, then give it away.  Say "Do I really like that ugly bowl that Aunt Ruby gave me 30 years ago?" My neighbor admired that bowl...so I put some lovely fresh fruit in it and dropped it by to her as "a gift".  This works with all the clothes and clutter lying around the house.  Every season I look over my closet and ask "do I really like this, does it fit well, and do I ever wear it?"  If not, it goes into a bag and it's off to the Good Will.  Someone else can wear that ridiculous blouse and will love it!

Simplify and bring order to your home by sending the objects you no longer love to people who will genuinely appreciate them.  Open yourself up to receiving an abundance that will perfectly suit you!  Have nothing in your home that you do not know to be useful and believe is beautiful.  Let your home represent who "you truly are."  Make room and see how abundance will fill your life and home.

1 comment:

  1. "Sometimes, when I was really broke and new to New York, I'd buy a copy of Vogue instead of dinner - I feel like it fed me more."- Sarah Jessica Parker (Sex and the City, season 4).

    I couldn't agree more with your notion of functionality, but I wonder if it might be expanded a little. Most of the things I keep around me have less to do with practical "function" (insofar as their ability to "do" anything or assist with the tasks at hand), but I'd still say the immense collections of seemingly-decorative stuffs serves the function of beauty-making for nobody else but myself. Beauty, perhaps for me, is less a pursuit than a impulsive compulsion when it comes to my own living space. Fortunately I'm blessed with the ability to create that beauty for myself, with my own hands, and am seldom required to go elsewhere to acquire it from other sources. Is there a place in this notion of functionality for aesthetic purpose? Can something as selfish as visual pleasure be a function? Or is a home that revels in it's own aesthetic a type of clutter in itself? Shoot...now I sound like Sarah Jessica Parker.

    Love the blog so far!

    -m-

    ReplyDelete